LAST UPDATED: October 7, 2015
1. Compete API
2. Branding Requirements
Users of the Free API and those Premium users who do not elect to remove branding are required to attribute Compete metrics in two ways.
- Use an approved brand image (supplied below) adjacent to where metrics from the Compete API appear.
- Link back to the siteanalytics.compete.com profile for the data point being referenced by the Compete metric (e.g., https://siteanalytics.compete.com/DOMAIN/)
3. License to Compete API & Data
- All calls to the Compete API must reference the Compete user ID (the "APIKEY") issued to you as an approved licensee.
- You agree that you will provide the Compete Data to users on "as is" terms, with disclaimers substantially equivalent to those set forth in Sections 7 and 8.
- You agree to keep the APIKEY confidential, and not to share it with any third party. This license is personal to you, and any of your affiliates must seek and obtain their own license and APIKEY.
- You may present Compete Data only on a transactional basis. You will not permit your users to access Compete Data in bulk.
- You may not cache Compete Data unless this is specifically allowed in your Compete Paid API contract. Your license to Compete Data is limited to making direct server calls to Compete.com for Compete Data and to distributing Compete Data to your end users on your Web site(s) and/or application(s) immediately upon receipt by your servers.
- You may not collect personally identifiable information using the Compete API from any person without obtaining such person's express, affirmative and informed consent to do so.
- You may not present the Compete Data (or permit Compete Data to be presented) so that it appears to be available from a third party Web site unless this is specifically allowed in your Compete Paid API contract.
- You further agree not to otherwise reproduce, modify, distribute, decompile, disassemble, copy, create derivative works of or reverse engineer any aspect portion of the Compete API or of any Compete Data, including source code or algorithms.
- You may not use the Compete API in a manner that exceeds reasonable request volume, constitutes excessive or abusive usage, or otherwise fails to comply or is inconsistent with any part of the Compete API documentation located within https://developer.compete.com/, as determined by Compete in its sole discretion.
- Access to data with the Compete Free API is based on limits, monthly or daily, set by Compete and is subject to change at any time. Users of the Compete Paid API must pay usage fees for the data they access as specified in their individual contract. Please contact Compete at email@example.com for more details.
- You may not use the Compete API in connection with or to promote any products, services, or materials that constitute, promote or are used primarily for the purpose of dealing in: spyware, adware, or other malicious programs or code, counterfeit goods, items subject to US embargo, hate materials (e.g. Nazi memorabilia) or materials urging acts of terrorism or violence, goods made from protected animal/plant species, recalled goods, hacking/surveillance/interception/descrambling equipment, cigarettes, illegal drugs and paraphernalia, unlicensed sale of prescription drugs and medical devices, pornography, prostitution, body parts and bodily fluids, stolen products and items used for theft, fireworks, explosives, and hazardous materials, government IDs, police items, unlicensed trade or dealing in stocks and securities, gambling items, professional services regulated by state licensing regimes, non-transferable items such as airline tickets or event tickets, non-packaged food items, weapons and accessories.
- You may not use the Compete API in any manner that could be deemed in competition with or to Compete and/or Millward Brown Digital products and services.
4. License to Compete Brand & Links
You agree, and Compete grants you a license, to implement the Compete name, logo(s), trademark, and links to Compete.com (the "Compete Brand & Links") on any Web page incorporating the Compete API and/or Compete Data, in accordance with the Compete Branding Requirements.
5. Acceptable Use
You agree not to use the Compete API, Compete Data, or Compete Brand & Links in any way that is unlawful, or harms Compete, its service providers, its suppliers, your end users, or any other person, or in violation of Section 2. Further, pursuant to Section 12 below, Compete may terminate your use of the Compete API, Compete Data and Compete Brand & Links if and when Compete determines that your use is inappropriate.
6. Limited Relationship
8. NO WARRANTY
COMPETE PROVIDES THE COMPETE API, COMPETE DATA, AND COMPETE BRAND & LINKS "AS IS," "WITH ALL FAULTS" AND "AS AVAILABLE," AND THE ENTIRE RISK AS TO SATISFACTORY QUALITY, PERFORMANCE, ACCURACY, AND EFFORT IS WITH YOU. TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, COMPETE AND ITS SUPPLIERS MAKE NO REPRESENTATIONS, WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED. COMPETE AND ITS SUPPLIERS EXPRESSLY DISCLAIM ANY AND ALL WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS, EXPRESS, STATUTORY AND IMPLIED, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION (A) WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, WORKMANLIKE EFFORT, ACCURACY, TITLE, QUIET ENJOYMENT, NO ENCUMBRANCES, NO LIENS AND NON-INFRINGEMENT, (B) WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS ARISING THROUGH COURSE OF DEALING OR USAGE OF TRADE, AND (C) WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF UNINTERRUPTED OR ERROR-FREE ACCESS OR USE.
9. LIABILITY LIMITATION; EXCLUSIVE REMEDY
10. Intellectual Property
The Compete API, Compete Data, and Compete Brand & Links are the property of Compete, and Compete and its applicable licensors retain all rights, title and interest (including all patent, trademark, copyright and other proprietary rights) in and to the Compete API, Compete Data, and Compete Brand & Links, as well as any derivative works in connection therewith.
12. Fees and Payments
Compete reserves the right to charge fees for future use of or access to the Compete Free API or the Compete services and Web sites (collectively, "Compete API Services") in Compete's sole discretion. If Compete decides to charge for the Compete API Services, such charges will be disclosed to you prior to their effect, and your refusal to accept and pay such fees after receiving such notice will result in termination of your use of the Compete API, Compete Data, and/or Compete Brand & Links. Compete will charge fees for the use of the Compete Paid API in accordance with the individual contracts that grant access to that system to customers.
13. Subscription Terms
- SUBSCRIPTION PERIOD
You will be entitled to receive Compete Paid API only during the subscription period (“Subscription Period”) specified in your billing form (“Billing Form”). Subscription Periods will either be three month or other, longer durations. Three month subscriptions will be considered a Pilot, and will expire at the end of the then-current term, unless a new agreement is put in place. All other subscriptions will automatically renew for additional terms equal in length to the then-current term unless you provide at least 30 days’ notice of cancellation prior to such renewal . Cancellation notice can only be provided by submitting a formal cancellation request via written notice, confirmed email, or online form if one is available. Once the cancellation request is received and processed, your subscription to Compete PRO will be set to not automatically renew. If a formal cancellation request is not received prior to 30 days in advance of your automatic renewal date, your subscription to the Compete Paid API will automatically renew, and you will be subject to the subscription fees for the entire renewal term.
- PRICING CHANGES
If your Compete Paid API subscription is set to automatically renew, you may be subject to pricing changes. If a pricing change occurs, you will be notified not less than 30 days prior to your automatic renewal date via the email address with which your account is associated. Unless a formal cancellation request is received prior to 10 days in advance of your automatic renewal date, your Compete Paid API subscription will automatically renew at the new price.
- PAYMENT TERMS
You agree to pay Compete the subscription fee specified in the Billing Form during the Subscription Period (“Subscription Fee”). A valid credit card or signed agreement is required to subscribe to the Compete Paid API. The Subscription Fee is payable in advance for the Subscription Period, regardless of the Subscription Period. You will be automatically charged the Subscription Fee at the beginning of the renewal term unless a formal cancellation request is received pursuant to Section 4(a). Subscription Fees are non-refundable and not subject to any set-offs. Accordingly, if you elect to cancel your subscription to the Service during the Subscription Period, you will not receive a refund of the Subscription Fee(s) previously paid to Compete or due for the then-current term. If your subscription is payable via credit card and your credit card is no longer valid, then, unless you provide a new valid credit card, Compete will send you an invoice within the first 30 days of the start of the subsequent term. The Subscription Fee is payable in United States dollars (including, if any, all applicable taxes). You are responsible for all collection costs (including attorney’s fees and expenses) in connection with collecting any overdue amounts.
15. Choice of Law; Disputes